Friday, May 15, 2009

Change for a Twenty

Okay, so I am not ashamed to admit that I am not a regular on the social scene in Paris.  However, I decided to dust off my heels and go out on the town tonight.  I am fortunate enought to have a young, fashionable friend, Anna-Maria, to show me the sights, so, I had really high hopes for the night.  So, after some drinks her in her 18s sq.m  apt, A-M, her Russian friend, Jane and Jane's friend, whose name is still a mystery to me, hit the town.  First stop: Showcase.  I had no idea where I was going, but Showcase was a club, under the Pont Alexandre III, right on the River Seine.  There was a Parsons party there, so it was a fashionable crowd, but luckily I had on my thrift-store purchased Chloe shoes to at least make me feel worthy of entering.  I have to admit, the club was cool...spacious, live band, good seating without having to buy a bottle, etc.  I was having a good time.  However, after successfully purchasing 2 drinks at the bar (typical for a night out, right?), my night took a turn for the worst.  I went to the bar for my 3rd drink of the night, and after placing my order and showing my 20 euro bill, the same bartender that had served me twice before, asked me if I had exact change.  Now, after living in France for 7 months, this isn't an uncommon question for me, however, I didn't have anything but 20 euros.  Then, she informed me that SHE didn't have any change and therefore couldn't serve me, and turned her back and walked away.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME???????  If this were L'Enfant Cafe, I MIGHT understand, but I was at a major club in Paris, France and I was being denied an alcoholic beverage simply because I did not have exact change.  I am still mad just writing about it. 

So, furious, I find Anna-Maria and her friends on the dance floor.  The no-name russian girl was taking pictures of herself and her 17 inch-long extensions, but the others were starting to have a good time, but also ready to depart.  Despite my fury and readiness to go home, I let them convince me to go to another bar, Tania, off of the Champs-Elysees, so I gave in and decided to give the Paris nightlife another shot.  Upon arrival, there were 3 people at the door, none of whom said hello, how are you, allez-y, etc., so we just went inside.  It was empty and smelled like carpet from someone's grandmas's house, with red velvet furniture everywhere.  I decided to give it a chance and get a drink.  However needed to save cash for a cab, I  asked the bartender what beer they had: Heineken and Corona.  Hmmm, Corona sounded good.....so I got a Corona.  For 10 euros.  It was luke-warm and lime-free.  It took at least 2 minutes after paying for me to get the bartender's attention, need I remind you, the bar was EMPTY, to ask for a lime.  I mean, did I really just pay 10 euros for a Corona and not even get the lime without having to ask??????   I tried... Paris, your buildings are pretty,  but I am starting think that your people just suck.  


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, now I don't feel like I'm missing anything! I've never been to a club here - well except Costes once and the *only* reason I was allowed in was because I was with a guest of the hotel. I know because I tried once on my own and was rejected. I can so relate to the last sentence :) Glad you're blogging again!

    ReplyDelete